Thursday, January 8, 2009

How to Listen to a Sermon

This will be the topic of my sermon this Sunday. As a preacher, it first seemed a bit self-serving to tell my people how they should listen to me. However, the congregation experiences the preaching event as a listening event. And for all the books written on how to compose a sermon, I am not aware of a single one that teaches Christians how to listen to a sermon. Sermons are likely the primary way for many North American church goers to grow in their relationship in Christ. It may be the only spiritual discipline in which they regularly participate. We teach people how to pray, fast, read the bible and journal. Why don't we teach our people how to get the most out of preaching? Should this be a natural skill for all believers?
My sermons are all on my church web site www.theDwellingPlace.ca, so you can listen to it there. If you would like the full transcript let me know and I will be happy to send it to you. Also , I found a few good articles on the topic on the web-here are links to some of them:
-George Whitfield's take on the topic
-Theocentric Preaching
-Philip Ryken's take on the topic

No comments:

Post a Comment