Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Remember

It was communion Sunday this past week at my church. We introduced communion with the memory recitation of Psalm 121 by one of our small groups...I love seeing people quote the bible! As I was taking the bread, in my private moment with the Lord, I said, as I often do "I remember". However the word remember came into focus in a new way. So, I started to leaf through my memory for what the bible says about remembering.

Remember is an action verb in the bible - to remember means to jump up and do something...as when you say "Oh my! I just remembered I am supposed to be at a meeting!" ... and you drop everything and run to the meeting.

-When God remembered Noah, he stopped the catastrophe of the flood.
-When God remembered Abraham he saved Lot in the midst of the Sodom overthrow.
-When God remember Rachel, she conceived.
-When God remembered His covenant he brought about the unforgettable events of the Exodus.
-When God remembered Babylon, he wiped "her" out completely.
-When Jesus remembered the thief on the cross - the thief was saved.

When God remembers - he acts - he jumps into action in behalf of those he "remembers". So what do you think Jesus means when he asks you to remember him? I think he wants us to jump up and say "Oh my! I am supposed to be about my Lord's business!"

Do you remember that you have a Lord and a King?

When you go to war in your land against the adversary who attacks you, then you shall sound an alarm with the trumpets, that you may be remembered before the LORD your God, and be saved from your enemies. Numbers 10:9 9

No comments:

Post a Comment