Saturday, January 3, 2009

Resolutions '09

I used to be really big on resolutions.  My husband and I would also make resolutions together and we were pretty good at keeping them.  Some even became part of our "normal" life.  For example, many years ago, when our careers were taking off and we were really busy, we resolved to have friends of family over for a full dinner at least once per month.  We stuck to that and once/month is really a minimum for us, it is often more like once per week.
However, I stopped making resolutions a few years after I became a believer.  I felt that as a Christ follower I have to make resolutions to change each time I encounter God - in the word, through prayer, through the words of another believer etc.  So, making resolutions at the beginning of a year seemed artificial and self-driven rather than Spirit driven.
I think that I am again ready to start making New Year resolutions.  It is January 3 so I am bit behind, but I am setting aside tomorrow afternoon to read the bible, to pray and to ask God to show me what I need to focus on in the New Year.
I am planning to do some retrospection and to divide my life into categories so that things don't become too overwhelming.  For example, what do I need to do as  wife, mother, pastor, neighbour to love God and love others more.  What do I need to strengthen in my spiritual, emotional, physical, relational, intellectual aspects of life?
I hope that I don't end up  with a very long to-do list.  Somehow I don't think so, our great God does not work that way.  He gives us what we can handle and I want 2009 to count for him.
I will keep you posted :)

No comments:

Post a Comment